The Return of the Cone
Ah, it's that time of year...when the tropics get active and the dreaded Cone Of Possibilities makes its first appearance near the mainland. Judy, this storm track should have you breathing a little easier tonight, although, as we well know, anything can happen with these cyclones. They wiggle and they wobble. They can't seem to make up their minds. Nonetheless, I'm grateful I have no vacation plans in the Yucatan next week.
I missed watching these cones last summer, when all was eerily quiet in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico. Watching the "spaghetti models" for Dean take shape was almost like an old friend coming home. The Central Florida Hurricane Center boards are buzzing like a field of wildflowers in July.
We all know I wouldn't find the colorful cone so heartwarming if I still lived in Florida. I'd be pacing like a tiger in a too-small cage, counting jugs of water, buying batteries, and stocking up on canned food. I'd be struggling to position heavy sheets of three-quarter inch plywood over windows. I'd be checking the models every ten minutes. I'd be obsessively reading opinions on the internet from seasoned storm trackers, looking for reassurance that the storm won't come my way, but usually finding reason to be scared. I'd be stressing big time.
Here's to wind shear and cooler waters in the days ahead. May all named storms fizzle like Flossie.




3 comments:
Welcome back to Blogland.
I'm banking on Dean not coming to Florida.
Although Dean's projected path thus far is strikingly similar to the path of Charley in August 2004, wouldn't you say?
All I have done in preparation is make notes of which animals go in which cages in which corners of the house and porch.
Dolphin Spirit, I'd bet you'd be packing your vehicle and driving to South Carolina! or Massachusetts! That will be my plan if anything big heads my way when I am at our Florida house.
K
Chalk,
Ayuh, I'd be headin' noth. Atlanta is a great place for evacuations. Lots to do, and excellent restaurants.
Post a Comment