Saturday, November 11, 2006

Petroglyph National Monument

SATURDAY. A few days ago I visited Petroglyph National Monument and hiked several trails in Boca Negra Canyon. It was more strenuous than I had anticipated, but I rose to the challenge, camera and water bottle in hand, and made it to the top of the escarpment. If anything, the difficult ascent defined my need for more exercise. The $1 parking fee ($2 on weekends) is infinitely less expensive than a gym membership, and the park is only 15 minutes from home. (I predict regular future excursions to Boca Negra.)

Petroglyphs are images carved in rock, generally prehistoric. More than 15,000 petroglyphs decorate the escarpment just west of Albuquerque. Extinct volcanoes dot the western edge of the 17-mile-long park at the edge of the mesa.


The obstacle-course climb up the escarpment between and around huge volcanic boulders led me to the top of the mesa, affording spectacular views of Albuquerque and the Sandias.




The largest unexcavated pueblo in the region, the park comprises 7,200 acres containing resources of great spiritual and cultural importance to Native Americans, who continue to maintain their traditions. Of great concern is urban sprawl, which threatens this sacred land. Land development in New Mexico is occurring at four times the rate of population growth. In addition to damaging the environment, urban development puts a strain on scarce water supplies. Albuquerque is growing as if the water supply is bottomless. It isn't.


During my wanderings among the petroglyphs I experienced echoes of a people who have lived in the Rio Grande Valley for thousands of years. Animals, crosses, people and branding symbols are clearly recognizable in this awe-inspiring outdoor art gallery. Created by native peoples and early Spanish settlers, the carvings may never be completely understood by us today. Perhaps only the artists knew the true meanings behind their creations.

I kept my eyes open for rattlers, scorpions, vinegaroons and other desert creatures, but saw only this very plump squirrel, who seemed three times the size of a New Hampshire red squirrel. He sat in the sun for quite some time before disappearing between the rocks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you once again for a relaxing and interesting morning coffee. I learned a few things and am fascinated by the petroglyphs. Why don't they wear away with time? What did they use to carve them? To stand in such an ancient place must have give one a sense of being. I also never heard of a vinegaroon.

Sammie

Anonymous said...

I just sent this to Kelly.

You write some great homeschooling stuff.

PS What's with the username and password needed? Only way I can post on your blog is to choose anonymous, because I have no clue what my user name and password is.

dreamer said...

Judy: Your username and password are the same logins you use for Blogger. I upgraded my blog to Beta Blogger, and it constantly asks me for my username and PW. Just use your regular Blogger PW. Or just post as Anonymous.

Anonymous said...

No idea what my blogger password is because my blog never asks me for it. I checked where I keep all my passwords and I don't have one listed for blogger, so guess I'll just have to be Ms. Anonymous. Gee, how'd you know it was me? LOL

And thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to not upgrade.

Judy