Monday, January 01, 2007

Signs of Snow Removal

We left the neighborhood this afternoon and drove several miles north to Wild Oats for some groceries. It appears that some of the main crosstown streets have been plowed and are reasonably dry. Parking lots are another story, covered in ice and tricky to navigate. My YakTrax ice walkers are serving me well. After slipping and sliding in the Flying Star parking lot this morning, I decided the ice was YakTrax-worthy and rushed home to strap them on my boots.

I started the New Year by devouring a Flying Star breakfast burrito with red chile sauce. Murphy was happy we spent some time with him at the park after breakfast, and this afternoon my furry friend and I snuck in a brief nap. The phones are still out. Yesterday we were told by a repair tech they'd be fixed "today or tomorrow." When I cornered the same tech today in his truck, he reaffirmed the phones would be repaired "today or tomorrow." I suspect we will get the same answer tomorrow. I don't mind being without a phone, but I do mind being without my fax, which, as many of you know, is the lifeline of my business.

Patience...patience...tomorrow's another day and who knows what a new day will bring...more snow perhaps?

On the flip side, I'm counting my blessings. We didn't lose power. We didn't lose cable. We have food in the larder and a warm home sheltering us from the elements. At no point during the storm were we in danger, unlike those unfortunate souls stuck on the highway in the cold, without food.

Since the Great Storm I've noticed that Alpenglow is breathtaking when there's snow on the Sandias, and icicles sparkle like giant jewels hanging from the eaves. Life is good. We are blessed.

No comments: