Blew Bayou
Day Two
With the long stretch of Texas high plains behind me, I headed east toward Louisiana and the Deep South (the scary states), tired but hopeful to make Mobile by nightfall. At the Louisiana Welcome Center, I stopped for an hour to dig through the cooler for hard boiled eggs, cinnamon mini-muffins, grapes, and a smoothie. After this tasty picnic repast, I grabbed some zzzzz's in the parking lot, and in a short while was once again cruising down the highway.

Crossing the Mississippi at Vicksburg, MS, the possibility of making Mobile by dark seemed quite doable.

There's something a little creepy about driving through the southern states, especially Louisiana. You just never know what will crawl out of those bayous. I guess I watched too many swamp thing movies in the 50's. Mississippi isn't much better, only in the Magnolia State it isn't reptilian creatures, but state troopers, that scare the bejeezus out of me.
I pulled into Mobile at 6:30, bought a basket of juicy peaches at a roadside stand, rented a deluxe room with jacuzzi, and spent the evening hopping between spa and bed. Thoughts of palm trees and not having to drive anywhere for at least a week lulled me into a deep sleep.




No comments:
Post a Comment