Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Warning: Do Not Take Hallucinogens Before Watching


Lately, I feel a bit like the woman in this video, reshaping myself every few seconds to suit the needs of my clients, all of them having immediate, pressing needs. Like that old 60's song says, "Bend me, shape me, anyway you want me." Work has been impossible lately. I love my work, but after 15 or 16 consecutive hours of sitting at the computer, I'm ready for a break. I haven't taken a real weekend in a month. Meals have been missed, phone calls ignored, and friends forgotten. My entire universe has revolved around a 19 inch computer monitor these past few weeks. I'm ready for a vacation.

Ironically, it's that very ability to meet my clients' needs quickly that has opened many doors and helped me land new business, so I'm reluctant to change my ways in any significant fashion. Admittedly, though, some days are rough. Some tell me I'm not good with boundaries and don't know how to say "no." Others applaud my efforts to meet deadlines and commitments. I suspect there's a middle ground someplace in this vortex where I can be kind to myself and helpful to clients. In the present moment, however, that place eludes me. This shapeshifter is bone tired.

Enjoy the video. You will be hearing more from me in the coming days, when I hit the road, alone, for a very long drive to Florida to visit loved ones and stock up on raw orange blossom honey to bring back to New Mexico.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a VERY interesting video. Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Okay, sounds like you (both of you?)might be heading south??? Things are pretty much the same. Some girl by the name of Tara has moved into your old place. Seems to be a little on the "don't let the neighbors see me" type. Not like our previous wild friends!!!

When Marcia was here last fall, my sister Kathy was very ill. Things did not get better for her and she passed away on November 14th. We were all with her that evening, but it seems so unfair that, at 54, I can no longer pick up my phone and call her.

Everyone else here are in good shape....just getting older.

Take care and say hi to Marcia for me.

Janet:)