Friday, January 18, 2008

Godspeed, Pop

Donald W. Ahrend
August 29, 1926-January 18, 2008


Dad passed today at 4:09 PM Eastern Time.

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength and I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come down to mingle with each other. Then someone at my side says: "There! She's gone." Gone where? Gone from my sight -- that is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side, and just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of destination. Her diminished size is in me, not in her; and just at the moment when someone at my side says, "There! She's gone," there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, "There she comes!"

2 comments:

Deb Canellis said...

On the second day of passing, the winter cold
lays silent on the day. I am here, still loving you, in my own silent way. My tears come slow and softly, as I recall a time gone by. My heart feels your loss, but I know you would not want me to cry. You are a man of love, and are still with us all. All we need do, is softly, lovingly, call.


I am left with just a picture
in my heart and in my mind.
The image of my Dad
that I close my eyes to find.

I am left with just my memories
of time now long past.
The childhood scenes and hopes
and dreams that did not seem to last

I am left with sweet assurance
that my grieving soul awaits.
For I'll meet him in the morning
just inside the eastern gates.

Dad, watch over my flowers, watch over my heart, watch over the dear ones that you leave behind as your depart.

Deb

dreamer said...

Dear "Sister" Deb,

Dad will be helping us tending our gardens for a long time. He loved to plant things in the earth and nourish them to fruition. His passing leaves a huge hole in our lives and hearts, but he would want us to keep planting our gardens and filling the void in our hearts with fragrant, rainbow-hued blossoms. This morning his presence is palpable. He is watching over all of us.