Wednesday, August 16, 2006

It Grows As It Goes

WEDNESDAY. I'm not really sure what the title of this blog entry means, but it's the state motto of New Mexico.

The state flag is really quite interesting. The yellow field and red symbol are the colors of Spain first brought to New Mexico by Spanish explorers in 1540. On New Mexico's flag we see a red sun with rays stretching out from the center. There are four groups of rays with four rays in each group. This is an ancient sun symbol of the Zia, a Native American people who believed that the giver of all good gave them gifts in groups of four. These gifts are:

The four directions - north, east, south and west.
The four seasons - spring, summer, fall and winter.
The day - sunrise, noon, evening and night.
Life itself - childhood, youth, middle years and old age.

All of these are bound by a circle of life and love, without a beginning or end.

Feeling Antsy

Good news! The ants have left the building! Between the traps and our insane ant battle the other night, they have disappeared. I still want to treat the perimeter of the house, but it's useless with these daily rains that wash away the treatment. At least it wasn't scorpions...

High Altitude Cooking

I'm finding it necessary to learn to cook all over again. Cooking at altitude is very different. Even my morning tea tastes different in water that boils at 203 degrees here at 5000 feet. Our 20 minute rice takes 38 minutes to cook. The first night we made rice it was crunchy, and there was lots of water left after 20 minutes. Potatoes that took 9 minutes to cook at sea level now take 15 minutes to soften and cook. Being an impatient type, I choose to cook quickly at high temperatures. M does a lot better with this slow cooking.

First Photos

In response to those of you who've been hounding me about house photos, here's where we live. We're still tripping over boxes inside, so interior photos are out of the question for another few weeks.



This is our quiet little deadend street.


Walls surround our home. The back wall is an old adobe wall. Here's the top of the wall with a view of the house on the next street over. The morning shadows fascinate me.


The wall itself is wonderful. The walls provide a lot of privacy.


My next blog post will contain some photos of the green desert and Albuquerque arroyos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I know you don't live in Port Charlotte any more. Would you email me your new address when you find a second?

The house looks wonderful, calm, not sure why I chose that it is just the feeling it gives me.

The American Indian lore is truly fascinating. There is a lot to be said for many of their beliefs and ways. I always grab a movie or book about them tho I admit mostly fiction with facts.

I am sitting in the LR looking out at another beautiful day, listening to the birds - hummers are everywhere, watching the shadows change. The Loons are flying between ponds and they cry as they fly - what a haunting sound. The little mountain across the way is clear and peaceful. Sometimes when people come to my house they become uncomfortable after a bit because there is no noise save the out of doors. It is interesting to see how their lives must be filled with everyday noise, office, radio, daily white noise. Night up here makes anyone who lives with a street light jumpy. Why is it so dark they ask? I tell them there is nothing out there in the dark that is not there in the daylight. The world could do with more peace and quiet. I cannot even begin to imagine the war torn countries.

The crickets are singing in the day time now a harbinger of fall being around the corner.

Well enough philosophy for today - must be having some inner thing.

Sammie