Thursday, October 12, 2006

Up, Up and Away


Today's musical offering will be familiar to my fellow baby-boomers.

This little guy was sitting on our next door neighbor's wall when we returned from our balloon chase this morning. Roadrunners never cease to amaze me.


After entertaining me for a few minutes, he jumped off the wall, scampered across the road, and disappeared in the brush.


This morning's lazy peregrinations took us through Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, a beautiful area just minutes from our door, boasting horse farms, vineyards, a sizeable organic farm, and delightful views of the Sandias. I never tire of driving north on Rio Grande Boulevard through Los Ranchos.

The leaves are changing, though not as dramatically as in other parts of the country. Still, the unmistakable yellows and golds of autumn herald the approach of winter. After three years in Florida, living with only two seasons ("hot" and "hotter"), I wonder how I'll adapt to cooler weather again. The ceremonial unearthing of cold-weather gear took place yesterday morning. We scrambled to find gloves and earmuffs as we braced against the morning chill. I'm already pulling recipes for winter stews and soups to warm my bones.

Our journey took us near Balloon Fiesta Park today. I didn't take as many photos, preferring to eat a breakfast burrito in the car, watch the scenery, and enjoy our mini-vacation.






This is, perhaps, the strangest balloon I've seen so far.


Shortly before 10 we drove east on Tramway and wound up at the Sandia Tram, where we waited for our ears to pop and looked at the valley below.


Bison grazed in a field at the side of the road at the northern edge of the city, balloons visible in the distance.


In all honesty, the real thing was almost as good as the balloon.

2 comments:

Portable Graffiti said...

You found a CSA. Is it close by? It looks like a really good one. I like their web site, and so easy to check what's in this week's box.

dreamer said...

The nice thing about Los Poblanos is that they have locations in storefronts throughout the city for produce pickups. They also have a pickup in Santa Fe, 50 miles north of here. The variety of produce is amazing! We haven't joined yet...but will at some point.