Wednesday, October 11, 2006

When Storm Clouds Part

WEDNESDAY. It was one of those perfect fall mornings, the air crisp and chill, the sky cloudless and clear. After a long, gloomy, rainy weekend (and numerous cancelled Fiesta events), it's been great to see the balloons in the air yesterday and today. I took off early this morning to chase balloons, right after I spotted the first one rising slowly in the East.

If you click on any of my blog photos, they will open in a larger window. My current photo offerings are basically unretouched, other than a little cropping. The New Mexican sky really IS that blue.

My first impression this morning was that rush hour looks a whole lot different with a backdrop of hot air balloons.


I traveled north and east, toward Balloon Fiesta Park. Within a few minutes I was directly under balloons flying low over the road.


(Gail, this one's for you.)








The placement of the basket under this bee balloon is a little disconcerting. However, kids seem to love these "special shape" balloons. One little boy cried endlessly this morning as the bee was deflated.



LANDING AND RETRIEVAL

Chase crews follow balloons in pickup trucks, many pulling trailers with gear. When you cast your fate to the wind, it's hard to anticipate precisely where you'll land.



(Balloon number 741 will give you an idea of just how many balloons participate in Balloon Fiesta!)



Have you ever tried to push the air out of a baggie before you stow your leftovers in the fridge? Or squeeze the bubbles from an air mattress? Imagine deflating a hot air balloon "envelope" and forcing the air out so it can be folded...

What goes up must eventually come down: in fields, in back yards, in the middle of the road, and even in someone's driveway.


This seems like a reasonable excuse for a U-turn...



Honey, I'm home...


Would you like some green chile with that hot air?


Here's a little Quicktime movie (Quicktime required to watch this) that the Fiesta organizers put together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But, but they're EVERYWHERE!!

Beautiful, tempting and fun.
Mimi

Portable Graffiti said...

Fabulous photos!!!

I am so behind on your blog.

dreamer said...

Judy, the hurrier you go, the behinder you get...