The Other Side Of The Mountain
SUNDAY. Life must be settling down into everyday tasks now, because I find myself actually looking forward to weekends. After over three months of anything but normalcy in my schedule, a familiar tapestry of routines is gently replacing the crazy quilt of chaos demanded by relocation. A dozen or more filled moving boxes still beckon. For now I'll ignore them.
Today was the kind of crystal-clear late summer day we've always labeled "Indian Summer." As our afternoon explorations took us to the other side of the Sandias, we headed deep into Cibola National Forest. At 9,000 feet we stopped and hiked one of the less challenging picturesque trails. The air was sweet with tall pines, and brilliant wildflowers blanketed the earth on either side of the trail. Murphy was so excited to be in the mountain air, he practically turned himself inside out bounding up the trail, dragging us along 20 feet behind him. (This was helpful on steep inclines, but not much fun going downhill on a trail decorated with large tree roots and jagged rocks.) The smell of deep woods, black bear, and other hikers must have been intoxicating to a sure-footed Labrador Retriever who most likely remembers hiking in New Hampshire. It was very energizing for his humans too. I soon discovered I wasn't dressed for temperatures in the low 50s, and didn't hike the whole trail due to chill breezes and lightheadedness. (Was it the altitude or the excitement?) Still, our short hike was an invigorating adventure.
While M managed Murphy, I stopped to snap photos along the trail. The wildflowers were especially lovely.
M took this photo of me and Murphy on the trail. Is this a look of contentment or was I merely oxygen deprived?
After our hike we drove a little further up the mountain to Sandia Peak, where we enjoyed a spectacular view of the valley.

On our way home we stopped at one of Albuquerque's many dog parks. We met many dogs big and small, including a huge one-year-old Great Pyrenees. Murphy ran with the pack, chased tennis balls, rolled in the dirt, splashed in the water trough, and wrestled with the puppies. As I write, our tired dog is curled up next to me in a sound sleep.
M and I are already thinking about new snowshoes for January treks. The evening chill forced us to close the windows tonight. It won't be long before winter's upon us. I'm not sure I'm ready for cold weather again. Florida winters have spoiled me. But the kid in me can't wait to play in the snow again!




3 comments:
Thank you for sharing. It looks truly beautiful. I can smell the pines. I have never been to NM but it is very high on my list. Amazing there are wildflowers at this time of year!
Love
Sammie
Have you uploaded any of your photos on Weather Underground? I think the world will enjoy them!
Such nice views there! Thank you for taking us along on your hike with your pictures. They are very refreshing. I'm glad things are getting back to a norm for you there.
Your friend,
Mike
Post a Comment