Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Conchas Lake



The 37 mile journey to Conchas Lake took us through the desert on a desolate, yet breathtakingly beautiful road. We saw only 4 cars along the way, with nary a billboard, gas station, house, or cell signal. It was definitely surreal, and almost creepy. As my pulse quickened, cattle grazing on the desert prairie reminded us we weren't completely alone.

Once at the lake, there were few signs of civilization, and still no cell signal. The only gas station in the tiny community dispensed Regular Unleaded at a whopping $3.49/gallon. A small sign at the side of the road announced the "next gas" could be found 72 miles ahead. I patted myself on the back for having the foresight to fill up in Tucumcari after breakfast.




Kelly was eager to go for a swim.


While she wandered along the shore, I studied the flora and fauna.



By midday we left Conchas Lake to explore Cuervo, a ghost town 25 miles away.

1 comment:

Portable Graffiti said...

It's been many years since I was out west. That is one very straight road. Looks like it could mesmerize a driver into a trance.

The lake is almost as aquamarine as the water in the keys.

What is that blue bug? It is a bug right? A dragonfly of some kind?

OK, okay I'll look it up. Is it a Blue Dasher? Pachydiplax longipennis