Tuesday, July 03, 2007

LIfe Lessons - Part 3


There is so much to learn from Kelly. I can add another word to my list of necessary all-inclusive adjectives: "random."

The day started a bit too early for the two weary sleepyheads. Heavy rain in and around Dallas made the morning seem tedious. By lunchtime, the skies cleared and we made our way up the long, lonely, 300-mile road from Dallas to Amarillo. It was a day of cowboys, oil wells, big sky, juicy bugs smeared across the windshield, country music, and miles and miles of nothing. As Kelly said at one point, "...and I thought I lived in the middle of nowhere..."






The landscape changes so dramatically just before the New Mexico border on I-40. Kelly was bug-eyed when she caught her first glimpse of the real West. We escaped the interstate and followed old Rt. 66 all the way to Tucumcari.



The ghostly images atop the Llano Estacado are windmills.


Time to hit the hay and put this computer to bed as well. The wireless connection at the Blue Swallow Motel has one fatal flaw: the signal can only be picked up from a picnic table next to the office. The bugs this evening were enough to keep me from my email, and at this late hour I sit in the car typing in the dark, waiting for my laptop to shift and sound the horn.

The owner of this ancient roadside motel assured me doors needn't be locked and our safety is assured in this friendly little town in the middle of nowhere. It's good to be back in New Mexico, even though I miss the palm trees, salt air, and snowy egrets flying overhead.

2 comments:

Portable Graffiti said...

Route 66. Wish I was with you guys. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to what happens when Kelly sees The Sandias and the volcanos. Keep the Kelly adventures coming. I just hope she's still there when I fly in for the opera. I'd like to meet her in person.