Tucumcari
Tucumcari (pronounced TOO-kum-kair-ee) is nestled on historic Route 66 in Northeast New Mexico. The origin of its name remains a mystery, though there are several theories and legends surrounding Tucumcari Mountain and the town itself. After a restful night, we awoke to cloudless skies and cool desert air. Built in 1939, the Blue Swallow Motel boasts the best neon in Tucumcari. Each room has it's own private garage, and the current owners, who bought the motel in 2005, have restored the Blue Swallow so well that I felt like I'd entered a time warp when I stepped into Room 10. Though cable TV is available in all the rooms, much appears as it might have half a century ago. 



Kelly spent a lot of time in the Executive Business Center at the Blue Swallow.

Our room housed a tall Hogan Brevatherm short-wave unit that served as a TV stand, and an old telephone that actually worked.


We left Tucumcari mid-morning, bound for the Conchas Dam.




2 comments:
Hey it's BLUE, not pink like the photo I posted. Makes sense, good choice to paint the Blue Swallow, blue.
Your photos are great, as always. I see what you mean about how much they changed the place.
Thanks again for taking Kelly with you on this awesome adventure.
My wife and I stayed in the same room a few days ago. The Brevatherm is still there.
Post a Comment