Saturday, July 14, 2007

Pancakes & Rattlesnakes

I had a hankerin' for a heap of hotcakes at Old Town's Church Street Cafe this morning, so the three of us left the house shortly after 9. At that early hour, we had no trouble parking near the Plaza.

The Church Street Cafe is housed in the oldest building in Old Town, constructed in the early 18th century by the Ruiz family. The building remained in the family until 1991, when the last surviving family member died at 91. The hostess seated us in the patio, a delightful area in the back where we enjoyed blueberry pancakes, huevos rancheros and, to Kelly's satisfaction, OJ with plenty of pulp.




Of note was a stunning table and benches inlaid with beautiful tiles. I thought Judy might like to see this table, so here it is. And before I forget, Happy Birthday Judy!


The American International Rattlesnake Museum, located just a few blocks from the cafe, is home to the largest collection of live rattlesnakes in the world. While I'm neither ophidiophobic nor especially enamored with slithering reptiles, I admit sensing a palpable creepiness in being surrounded by dozens of venomous vipers, spiders, scorpions, and even a gila monster, though all were secured in sturdy glass enclosures. To be honest, I kept checking the floor and enclosure tops to make sure none had escaped. Nonetheless, the exhibition was pretty amazing, even if I had chills more than once. Kelly seemed fascinated by the poisonous creatures.


Kelly reprimanded me (and rightly so) for tapping on the glass. I just had to do it. Tsk, tsk...can't take me anywhere.

Kelly brushed up on her rattlesnake trivia. You just never know when you'll need to know snake facts.

On the way back to the car Marcia and Kelly checked out a 1926 Model T parked in the Plaza. It was one sweet ride, beautifully restored and spotless.


When I got home I took Murphy for a long walk along the ditch, where he happily swam and cooled off. I, on the other hand, became so overheated in the midday sun that I needed to place an emergency phone call to Marcia requesting a cold wet cloth and Gatorade, which she and Telly delivered to me in minutes. Though the ditch water looked therapeutically cooling, I'd rather collapse than immerse my body in a muddy arroyo. Blech.

It's summer and this is high desert country. One of these days I'm going to realize I'm not in Florida anymore, and dehydration happens quickly. Thankfully, I don't mind the taste of Gatorade.


A better way to keep cool: Tara's Organic Ice Cream. Check out the flavors. My new favorite flavor is White Pepper Chocolate Chip. My next adventure in frozen delights: Tara's Green Chile Ice Cream.

6 comments:

Portable Graffiti said...

I love the tiled table.

Because of the blog entry title,
I thought as the story progressed, there was going to be a rattlesnake under your table at the restaurant. Ending with Kelly skinning it. LOL

Glad Kelly had her OJ with pulp. She likes LOTSA pulp in her juice.

You guys should have water bags with shoulder straps as part of your desert attire, whenever you venture out.

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Portable Graffiti said...

You can't fool me, you changed the title of this blog entry.

And then you went out for ice cream? ORGANIC no less.

dreamer said...

I did change the title. I just can't get pancakes out of my brain. Didn't go out for ice cream. We had it here in the freezer, and I finished up the pint this evening. It's really special ice cream. Can't wait to try the green chile.

Anonymous said...

It's three AM and I just got back from a "semi-going-away" party for one of my favorite co-workers. Your widget fit right in with the party mood.

My belated Happy Birthday wishes to Judy. (It won't happen again.)

I'm sorry I won't get to meet Kelly in person but I imagin she'll be happier having her birthday with Judy & Katie back in Florida.

I'd still like to see her pictures of her trip out west. Does she have a blog of her own?

dreamer said...

Russ,
I'm not sure where Kelly's photos are....perhaps still in her camera. No clue. She's uploaded a few to MySpace...but not too many. I will investigate and get to the bottom of this digital dilemma. I'm glad the tune fit your mood. Isn't it great when you hear a song that seems to be scripted in the movie of your life? Songchronicity.

P.S. It's still hot hot hot in Albuquerque. This should come as no surprise to anyone, including me. I knew summers would be hot when I signed on for this tour...

Anonymous said...

I look at Kelly & try to remember when my body was that liquid. The way she sits in the chair makes me realize just how non-liquid I have become. Ah youth. When I lived in Georgia rattlesnakes were everywhere altho I never saw one while walking in the woods. I ran over one and was severly chastised because I destroyed the meat and you couldn't make a belt from the skin. (OK so I ran over it 3 or 4 times, it was as big around as my lower leg.)

I don't like snakes in closed places either. At least outside you can jump and run, no walls.

LOL
Sammie