Friday, June 23, 2006

Day 19: Reasons To Be Cheerful, Part 3

SATURDAY. Do you remember that odd little 1979 song by Ian Dury and the Blockheads called Reasons To Be Cheerful, Part 3? The song is basically a laundry list of things the singer feels happy about. I've been taking a gratitude inventory lately and realizing that life is good, all is well, and there is much for which I'm grateful.

Carving my own slice of happiness in a world that often seems grim challenges me daily and keeps me in the moment. Seeing the world through a camera lens pleases me and helps me reframe what my eye sees. Sometimes I see only shadows, and other times I see beautiful things. On a really good day, I see beauty in the shadows.

This is the roof of the gazebo in the hotel courtyard. As late afternoon shadows danced on the beams above, the clean lines and play of light left me feeling strangely satisfied.


Murphy has become a fixture in this hotel. Everyone knows him, both guests and staff. A bag of treats marked "Murphy" is found behind the front desk. I refill it regularly. He loves the babies and children staying in the hotel, and they love him. He's goofy, playful, and sometimes surprisingly well-behaved. His enthusiasm is boundless, and he teaches me so much about staying in the present, stopping to smell the roses (and in his case, far less pleasant things), and seizing the day. But best of all, Murphy smiles.


And now, the Big News...

After a great deal of research, much soul searching, and hours of discussion, we have decided to make Albuquerque our next home. M has applied for a teaching position in Albuquerque and we've found a spacious adobe house to rent in a quiet neighborhood surrounded by horse farms. The park is only 3 blocks away and Murphy will have a fenced-in back yard. There is very little about Albuquerque we don't like. Thus far, it's all good. We've even found an honest car mechanic.

We've rediscovered many of our favorite northeast stores here, including Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Wild Oats, and an Einstein Bagels shop. The city is bursting with ethnic eateries and interesting neighborhoods. Traffic is manageable. It's not too hot and not too cold. The dollar goes a lot further here. Housing seems affordable. In fact, Albuquerque is #3 on Kiplinger's recent "50 Smart Places to Live" list ("This laid-back city offers resort-town ambience, a boomtown economy and cow-town prices...").

People are exceptionally nice here. Looking west from the foothills over the city, the desert seems to stretch all the way to the Pacific. To the east, the Sandias are magnificent. The sun shines 300 days a year. Biking, hiking and skiing are mere minutes from the city. The University of New Mexico sprawls near the downtown area. In the two weeks we've been here, we've shared several wonderful meals with friends and look forward to many more gatherings. It's so good to see our friends again.

And, no hurricanes. The risk of natural disasters is extremely low in Albuquerque. But that's not why we're moving here, though I admit it sweetens the deal. If hurricanes were the only reason for leaving Florida, I would have moved a year ago.

To all my East Coast friends and family, please know I will miss each and every one of you tremendously and hope you will visit us. Though it seems like a sudden decision, we've considered the possibility of relocating to the southwest for years, and I'm happy things are coming together smoothly for this major transition. Please share our joy.

I have so many reasons to be cheerful, including tonight's sunset.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Donna...I think that's the happiest I've ever heard you! I think y'all may have just found the perfect home simply by the way you sound talking about it. I'm so happy for y'all! :)

Anonymous said...

You have shared this wish for some time now and I for one am so glad it makes you happy. Yes I will miss knowing you are on the east coast but happiness and peace of mind are paramount in life. I will think of it as a new place to visit with some incredible friends.

Sammie