Friday, June 30, 2006

Day 25: Return To The Deep South

FRIDAY. What a long day! I am grateful to be out of the car for a few hours. We arrived in Mobile at 8:30 PM, checked into our room at a fun hotel (free popcorn and soda in the lobby), and collapsed on our comfy beds. It's late and I don't have much energy for blogging tonight. I must, however, report that I stopped at a McDonald's in Louisiana, rushed into the Ladies Room, and found only an ordinary oval wash basin. That being said, I'm fairly certain there was a Louisiana-shaped stain in the bottom of the sink.

Our day began with a trip to the lovely Tyler Rose Gardens. Unfortunately the roses bloom in April and September, so most of the blossoms looked a bit moth-eaten. They were still, however, fairly fragrant. It was a relaxing way to start the day, even though it was necessary to restrain Murphy, who kept trying to throw himself into muddy ponds and fountains.

After we left Texas and crossed the Louisiana state line, we drove 240 miles from Shreveport to Baton Rouge on a desolate, creepy road that I hope I never have to drive in the dark. My fantasies alternated between scenes from "Deliverance" and "Creature From The Black Lagoon." I kept expecting a slimy swamp creature to run across the road and throw itself on our windshield. When we finally arrived in Baton Rouge, we spent over an hour in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic, which provided little relief from our scary ride. I'm surprised we're still speaking.

I'm disappointed I didn't find anything in the shape of Louisiana today. My current earworm: "Let Me Entertain You," sung by Ethel Merman.

Here are a few shots I took in the Tyler Rose Gardens.






3 comments:

Portable Graffiti said...

That's the highway I told you about. We did it in the dark...terrifying. Headed north into the unknown. Rest areas all say no telephones. The few that you see along the way but no way was I gonna stop in any of them anyway. If I had to choose I would have peed in my pants before getting out of the truck along there. We were about the only vehicle on the road. I didn't know which was more scary, being the only vehicle or being scared when I did see another vehicle. C R E E P Y !!!

Portable Graffiti said...

That's the highway I told you about. We did it in the dark...terrifying. Headed north into the unknown. Rest areas all say no telephones. The few that you see along the way but no way was I gonna stop in any of them anyway. If I had to choose I would have peed in my pants before getting out of the truck along there. We were about the only vehicle on the road. I didn't know which was more scary, being the only vehicle or being scared when I did see another vehicle. C R E E P Y !!!

Anonymous said...

Great photos!! Sounds spooky!! Sending you good vibes and light.

Peace be with you, Meg