Rest & Relaxation
Self-employment and working at home have their rewards, but being a sole proprietor (and sole employee) is often a tough row to hoe. It's always difficult to break away for R&R. Preserving 25 year client relationships often requires finesse, and quite a lot of chocolate. No, I don't give my clients chocolate. It's one of the few things that keeps me sane (and it's a lot cheaper than Prozac). After more than two decades in this business, I can pretty much predict the way my pre-vacation workload will unfold. It's a given that my fax and phone will be busier than ever as I try to wind down and pack to leave. I've found it necessary on more than one occasion to actually turn off the fax and phone. All in all, I am blessed with wonderful clients, most of whom are a joy to know. I feel privileged to work with them.
We all need downtime. Recognizing my burn-out and desperate need to remove myself from the daily grind, I long to photograph sunsets, walk in the desert, feel the sun on my back, eat interesting food, and play with my dog. A change of scenery can't come too soon. Ironically, my weariness is slowing down the process of packing and leaving. My mind and spirit want to leave right now. My body, however, wants to nap.
Time to drag my tired bones out of the house so I can get a Triptik from the auto club, have the car serviced, pick up a month's worth of chlorine for the pool, and buy a case of dog food. Full speed ahead!




4 comments:
I am self employed and work at home too. But I have the opposite problem as you. You have a hard time breaking away from your work and I find every day things come up that I don't have time to work.
Judy: Wanna trade places?
No.
I'd rather be poor and happy.
LOL
Amen.
Post a Comment