BUY OUR STUFF...PLEASE!!!
SATURDAY. There's a reason I don't have too many yard sales. I detest them. I don't even enjoy going to them. Holding a yard sale is back-breaking and exhausting. The only plus is a few more dollars in the pocket and a lighter load when it's over. Sometimes, though, I question the economics and wonder if it's really worth it. The easier road would have been donating the entire lot to a worthwhile charity, saving ourselves days and days of pricing, organizing, setting things up, and ultimately haggling until we were blue in the face. Some folks enjoy this. I am not one of them. Perhaps we needed to go through this arduous process in order to grieve the loss of our stuff. Kind of like a funeral for junk. And when it's over, there's a party.
Yesterday we were visited by well over a hundred people. They carted away our generator, a bedroom set, lots of chazerei--but not the piano. Looks like I'll be enjoying music in the desert, unless someone makes an offer today. This morning we'll do the yard sale thing all over again. There's still some stuff in the carport. Lots of books and records (y'all hurry right over for some swell 70s LP's...). And there's still stuff in the house we didn't put out yesterday. When I finish this blog entry, I have to scurry from room to room yanking things off shelves and running them to the carport. Sun's up now, so the vultures will appear, momentarily, hungry for The Deal Of The Day. Yesterday morning our first buyer arrived at 6:50 AM. In my book, that's an obscene hour to show up on someone's property to rifle through their belongings.
We have a very welcome houseguest who flew in yesterday from St. Louis to help us finish our moving tasks. Russell and I hadn't seen each other for 35 years, but angel of mercy that he is, he came running to our rescue in a dire time of need. What a blessing!
If I'm not front and center in the kitchen in precisely 60 seconds, M is going to shoot me, so I'll wrap this up and continue my Official Yard Sale Report later in the day.




2 comments:
Sweet!!! Oh please send Louis here. : )
Louis is welcome to fly here next. I have decided to sell everything, antiques, antique furniture, 70s stuff, you name it.
Your wording is perfect: Funeral for Junk.
I will be grieving my junk, and someone else selling it for me would help ease the pain.
No no no, don't send Louis.
Send Russell. LOL
Post a Comment