Friday, July 07, 2006

Decluttering

FRIDAY. I'm embarrassed to admit there are still several bags in my bedroom I've not unpacked. The past few days have been a bit chaotic. I wander through the house aimlessly, looking for items to place in the yard sale box, or the freecycle box, or the trash. There's no rhyme or reason to my peregrinations. I simply amble from room to room. Thinning out my possessions is excruciatingly painful, yet I know it's absolutely necessary. Bottom line: I have too much stuff. Stuff weighs me down. Stuff demands my constant attention. Stuff stifles. And stuff costs a fortune and a lot of energy--both psychic and physical--to move.

The POD sits in the driveway, reminding me of post-Charley days. The rain has been fierce today and I've watched the swales fill and recede several times. Each time the swale fills, the water creeps closer and closer to the back end of the POD.

I've been sifting through books, tapes and records today, all of which I consider "my children." After all, they've been with me longer than some kids remain with their parents. When I look at them I'm reminded of good times long forgotten. I realize I needn't let go of memories, but I do need to let go of these symbols of my youth. All those Moody Blues albums...the Talking Heads tapes...and a well-worn copy of "Be Here Now" by Baba Ram Dass. I wonder whether keeping them has kept me young, and whether letting go of them will open the door to old age. Have I fooled myself into believing I'm still a kid? It seems like just yesterday I was listening to The Byrds on a record player in a tiny dorm room with three other freshmen. Have I used these symbols to identify myself as forever young?

I freecycled 2 dozen music tapes today, a cordless electric broom, and over 50 classical music LP's. I sold a rather nice portable stereo, and relisted my piano on ebay. I don't relish the thought of two of us lifting a 400 lb. piano into the POD. I keep asking M if I'm "doing good" as my giveaway box fills up, seeking approval that helps offset my anguish.

During the past two days I've reconnected with a dear friend with whom I'd been out of touch for over 20 years. It is heart-warming to know that the years haven't diminished our mutual respect or affection. We reminisced about the good times, and I now realize there will be more good times. It won't look the same, but as long as there's breath in this body, I will dance. Decluttering my physical house requires a great deal of faith and trust that the good times will continue, even if I pass my Woodstock album on to someone else. The era of youthful adventures has ended, but a new era is dawning. And it will be fabulous!

Do I believe letting go of my LP's will make me old? Not for a minute. Age is a quality of heart and mind, not body. And as trite as it sounds, we really are as young as we feel. As the song says, "Everybody dance now!"

6 comments:

Portable Graffiti said...

Keep the LPs and buy a new turn table when you get where you're going.

I still have 1/6th of my LPs.

They're fun, they're funky, they're even useful and nostalgic if they have a few scratches and occasional skip.

I say keep them or at least a percentage of them.

They are selling in T-Burg for about 12 bucks a piece.

They are IN and HOT.

Not a freecycling item, not this year.

My 2 cents, see the email I sent you.

Portable Graffiti said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Things - this a.m. I stood and looked around and only saw clutter. It toook about a 1/2 hr to pick most of it up but for once I didn't re-settle it I pitched it. I say why but things are important to our day to day lives. I was way into Rod McKuen's poetry. I decided to look and found Buffy St. Marie, Judy Collins, John Denver -and a bunch more what a blast from the past. I don't even have a turn table. Rod was from some really interesting times don't think I can part with him. I can't even imagine moving, everything up in the triangle was hauled up over the decks including the tub enclosure. I would have to take up the floor to get anything out. Guess I am just going to stay on Thurley Mountain. I have loved your blog and hope you keep it going.

Love
Sammie

dreamer said...

Judy: Your mandate deserves my careful consideration. Perhaps for every record I donate, I'll keep 20. Seems reasonable to me.
Donna

dreamer said...

Sammie: Thanks for the words of blog encouragement. I intend to keep this thing going, but with all my moving chores, it may not be daily. My Rod McKuen books and records fell by the wayside years ago. If I'd known you then, you would have been the recipient. I'm rethinking my strategy and have decided to pack some of my cherished albums in the fridge when we move it. I won't even tell M. I'll just hide them in the produce drawer. And I should be able to fit quite a few in the freezer...
Donna

Anonymous said...

Heh...I still have one bag from my vacation 2 weeks ago that I have yet to unpack. BTW, I'm trying to declutter/downsize my life and my house as well so I kinda understand your ambivalence. :)